Tabs

March 11, 2013

The Spiritual Gift of Giving


"…the righteous gives and does not hold back." (Proverbs 21:26)

Good Morning Oddballers,

It's finally the end of Spring Break for me, which means it is the start of my series on spiritual gifts. Today we will start our journey off with Giving, because I feel that giving back is something that many people should be doing, and as a spiritual gift, it can be quite fullfilling and rewarding.

So today, I chose a really simple Bible verse because one, I'm tired after a very busy Spring Break having almost no free time to myself, and two, it gets to the point. I feel like there isn't really a logical explanation for putting down a Bible verse that is two paragraphs long if normal readers interpret the scripture differently. Just Saying.

Now unto business, I think giving is something that all of us can try to do. For example, we can give to others by sharing our wisdom, giving gifts, writing a note, serving the community, helping the poor and hungry, and just by being in their presense. Giving first is one of the best principles that we as Christians can have. The ability to give to others and not expect anything in return. It sounds easier than it is to actually practice. Because when we put God first in our hearts, then we tend to naturally give first because we are driven by the holy spirit to do so.

Another thing I find important about giving is to give wholeheartedly and secretly. Just because you give back to the community, doesn't mean you can brag about it on a social networking site. Now, I know that I was updating others on the recent happenings of the ministry I was volunteering at during Spring Break, but honestly, I didn't share any of the things that I was doing necessarily because sometimes it just isn't worth sharing. There are a few fantastic moments with God that happened that week that I will treasure in my heart, I don't need to share that with many other people. That's is why sometimes when we give, we don't have to tell people, sometimes it is just better to enjoy the gift of giving back to yourself.

Lastly, I think it is important to give only what you have and to give freely. Don't go to the nearest gas station, steal something, and then give it to someone. I know there was a previous woman that used to work at the ministry I was volunteering for and the woman would take donations that were given, hide them, put them in her truck, and give them to her family. Yes, the giving part was noble, but how she got the gifts were not. ONLY give what you have, and freely give it. Don't put conditions on service. Just serve and not expect anything in return.

Have a wondeful Day Everyone

Oddball

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on blog posts