Tabs

January 27, 2014

On Art and Design Part Four: Creativity is About Failure

Hey Oddballers,

I don't find the need to be overly obnoxious with a picture today, so I am just going to be forward with this post today.

As an artist, I find myself frustrated everyday. As I sketch storyboards, write screenplays, type a paper, draw people, and create visuals in my head as an director, I am frustrated. I am frustrated because I just can't seem to get anything right sometimes. Others will seem to view me as wonderful, talented, and creative but I find myself sitting there, thinking to myself, "What planet do you live on!?" and "How in the world would you ever think of something like that about me!!?" This is normal, if you understand anything about artistry, you will realize, that YOU are YOUR OWN WORST CRITIC. It's bound to happen, whether or not you realize it. WE are more harsh on our own work than we are on others. Unless you are pretentious or arrogant, but that is a different issue altogether.

Welcome Artists to the real world. The real world says, "SHUSH IT!!!" With capital letters just like that and they lightly backhand you on the back of the head. WE fail ourselves because we feel like we deserve it. We will never get our of amateur status and we will forever be broke and without worth. Well, if you believe that about yourself. Hit yourself with a Bible for me, because I would do that to you.

Being Creative is all about Failure. WE FAIL a lot. IF you don't realize it now you might as well be dead. I'm serious. You will never succeed unless you take your failures, shake em off, and keep going. Take it as a learning experience. Stop crying about your painting, and make another one. Stop criticizing yourself because you are not at a pro level, and start making another film. KEEP GOING!! Just do it!!! Stop wallowing in the failures of your career and just focus on being better every time. It is the only way we can grow as artists. Embrace your self expression as well as your ability to communicate ideas and go out there, and DO something with your life. YOU ARE WORTH a lot and if you think you aren't. I don't know what I am going to do with you. Yell at you??? I don't know.

We need new artists and creatives out there. I know you are out there, and I would love to see your work on display in Paris, so get at it and make it happen. Don't worry about the really arrogant guy sitting next to you in Drawing and Painting 1 or Intro to Dance, or Film Production Praxis 1. Just do your work. DO NOT worry about other's work. IF they aren't professionals, they aren't competition. :) Quote me I dare you :). I'm just a broke college Creativity and Film Production major that may or may not understand the basics of real life.

Take it or leave it, but please, leave the Failure party out the door.

You're Welcome

Oddball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on blog posts